The Comical Misadventures - Movies
Thursday, March 16, 2006

I FELL IN TO A BURNING RING OF FIRE

HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE


Do you like chocolate? What!? How can you never have eaten chocolate? What do you mean you're allergic to it?

I typically get the same shocked reaction when I mention that I've never read a Harry Potter book. I think there are seven of them now and the closest I've been to actually reading one is scanning the cover to try and decipher the fancifully written title. I was on a date once and the conversation turned to the Harry Potter. The first movie had recently come out on DVD, if I recall correctly. When I mentioned to him that I'd never read any of the books, I think the date almost ended there. It was quickly amended by agreeing to rent/buy the movie and come over to watch it. Since then I've watched all the Harry Potter movies. Typically as fair trade payback for forcing someone else to watch a movie I wanted to see. It's not that I dislike the movies. They turn out to be quite good. I just don't have the same fever for them as most fans do.

So what are up to now? Four movies and 80 books later Harry Potter still hasnt' figured out a spell to comb his hair. Seriously! Can we get this boy into hair and make-up to do something about that bitch-mess going on? That's how he is supposed to look? Yikes.

Well there is no point in commenting about the cast because it's the same kids that have been in every film. To change the cast up at this point would be heresy in the eyes of most of the fans. There usually is a few additions to the cast each time. I don't think any of them have stood out of particularly ill-fitted. Though, having never read any of the books I suppose there might be a majority who disagree with the actor choosen to play Dumbledore after the original passed away.

The plot was interesting, if not a little formulaic. I finally figured out that the movies/books take place over a whole year at Hogwart's. There is always the set up of the conflict. There is always then a character development part in the middle that feel like forever. Then there is the big fight at the end, stemming from the revelation that someone who they trusted was actually not to be trusted. Either that or an one-time enemy is shown to be actually an ally. I know I'm over simplifying it. But honestly, I feel I could partially watch one movie, fall asleep, someone could put a previous Potter film, I'd wake up and never know the difference. My point being that I'm not sure there is really much that makes one movie stand out from the other. If you like one, you'll like the rest.

I started out trying to sum up this thought in one sentence, but I soon realized I had more to say about it. The movie is over two hours long, which I can handle. But the budding romance and best friends fighting seemed to go on forever. Only to have it end suddenly before the final conflict. I looked at the packaging to see how long the movie was and was horrified to see it was 4 hours and 40 minutes long. Misprint or Netflix Prankster?

Ron is now jealous of Harry, because he wants to be hunted down formless evil? Harry testicles finally descend and he is checking out every girl in the room. Good for Harry. It adds a nice facet to the story. Yet the romance between Hermoine and Ron feels odd. I hope it's explained better in the book because there is approximately two scenes of dialogue about it in the movie. Left field, checking in.

The conflict at the end was impressive. I wish there was more of it throughout the movie. The Tri-Wizards Challenge that Harry ends up being a part of, is a pretty cool idea. Yet it makes up only a fraction of the overall story. I had to laugh when I read another bloggers review of the movie where she tried to imagine what the Parental Permission slip for such an event must be like.

I'm glad I watched it. I'm not sorry I didn't read the book (as of yet). I kinda wish I would've seen it on the big screen. If you've bought the others, you might as well buy this one so you can eventually complete the set.
I posted this @ 11:04 AM.............Need a link?..........

I'm a 30-something student of human nature. A music-lovin', groove-shakin', laugh-inducin', dish-cookin', gossip-slingin', type of guy. This is my diary of sorts...

HOME
100 Things
How Well Do You Know Me?
101 in 1001


4124101
yahoo

-Gay Donor or Gay Dad?
-Moscow Police Arrest Gay Pride Leader and 50-100 Others at Banned March
-NJ court sends gay marriage issue to lawmakers
-Are Some Animals Gay?
-Many 'Straight' Men Have Gay Sex

How did I manage to go this long without talking about X-Men 3?

So let's just get right into it. There will be a few minor spoilers. I'll try not to give away any endings or anything major.

Read on...

DON'T FEEL LIKE DANCING - Scissor Sisters

MAMA'S ROOM - Under The Influence Of Giants

www.flickr.com
gotcris' photos More of my photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from gotcris. Make your own badge here.

BLOGROLL ME!

"The Day I Helped Kill A Baby" - Joe.My.God.
"Summertime Blues" - Tomato Nation
"Something I Will Never Forget" - Pamie.com
"OMG! It's a teenager." - Does This Mean...
"The God of Comedy Setup Lines" - Frolic & Detour
"Can't Handle The Tooth" - Hissyfit
The Evolution Of Dance
Jay Is Games
Pandora
Panda Cam
Google Earth
Hank!
Kelly Ripa's Hair Care Ad
Planearium
Homestar Runner

Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

The WeatherPixie

Add to Technorati Favorites!

F6 l c f+++! g+ m++ s(e)

B6 d- t k+ s u-- f i o+ x e+ l+ c

GSS d- s: a C++ W++ PS+ tv++ b+ e++ h- r++ y+

SMo/Ga/Ma A31 W+ H+ w h D+ E+ C++ e++ f Ma S+++

B3 f c-v g+ k? s--


Counting Sheep
Originally uploaded by Fib.